A million miles apart...

I read on Twitter not too long ago a post that said the biggest scam of uni wasn’t the £9,250 you pay each year but making your best friends, seeing them every single day and then suddenly moving back home to different ends of the country and not seeing each other for 5 months. I could not agree more!

When I first left for summer, I had in my brain that 5 months apart would fly by, we’d soon be back at uni and see each other again or visit each other as often as possible, flying, getting a train back and forth or taking a road trip to the opposite end of the country but the reality is so much more eughhh. It has literally been 3 weeks since the day I left for summer and it has honestly felt like a lifetime. I have gone from seeing my friends turn into family, spending time together each and every single day, being willing to drop everything for a single text to run around the corner for a girls night or to cheer each other up and now I have never felt more stuck in my life. 

Arranging a FaceTime call when you are all free is an absolute nightmare, we all have lives to be getting on with, yet it’s times like moving back home and dealing with your family that you need your best friends by your side and not at the other end of the country. It’s not like any of us have the money to be flying back and forth or hopping on the next train to escape from all our problems. 

A part of me wishes that we had stayed longer, even just for a couple more weeks but I think we all agreed that it was time to go home. People often say that uni is an absolute joke, a piss take for the amount you pay and what you get out of it and I would partly agree but it is the place you find yourself, who you want to be in life. You find yourself surrounded by people who want nothing but the best for you - like I said before, you meet strangers who soon become your second family. You have a different home away from home. 

Now I have absolutely no idea how I’m going to survive summer being away that long from my girls especially but I’m sure we will always find our way back to each other somehow. I am lucky in a sense that I have found people so special to me that even just 3 weeks can feel like a lifetime apart. There are times when there’s nothing that I need more than a Disney movie night in or going out with people that never fail to put a smile on my face, a cuddle from one of my girls or even simply custard creams and a cup of tea provided by the queens themselves -  especially when things start to get tough.

I guess, going back after summer is going to be different, how can it not be? It’s a fresh start, a new year. But at the end of the day, if we can survive 4 months apart with only a phone in hand, missing each other like crazy, I’m pretty certain, we can survive anything ❤️

Until next time - Ellen x 

0 Comments